Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Garden ups and downs

So the last post about Spinach had no pictures of Spinach and not many details either. So here they are(With a pea plant in the foreground).

(they are just seedlings - what is she raving about!?)

My Spinach is all planted in a neat row at last. I planted it in pots and then transplanted it to the bed this time. Most of the things I planted directly in the ground were eaten right away, so it seemed like a good idea. I am looking at this picture hard since there won’t be any actual Spinach to harvest this time. The temperature here has finally reached the 80s, first time this year. So it’s only a matter of time before it bolts. Most of the other veggies are not doing so well in the beds, though they seemed fine in the pots. I think I used too much compost in the beds and it’s too hot and too dry. It doesn’t seem to be holding much moisture. Lesson learnt. Better stick to pots as much as I can until I can fix the beds. I am thinking too much about these plants.

This is what I have right now:

- Spinach
- Tomatoes
- Bell Pepper
- Eggplant (Brinjal/Aubergine)
- Basil
- Tulsi (Holy Basil)
- Pudina (Mint - I don’t know what kind)
- Oregano
- Parsley
- Dhaniya (Cilantro/Coriander)
- Zucchini Squash
- Peas
- Sunflower
- Cantaloupe (A kind of Kharbuja)
- Chili

The hot weather is nice, it feels like summer :-)


Here is my Tulsi from seed. 


Mint is doing well of course. 

Zucchini is taking off...




When do people start their fall garden? September I guess?
What do you grow in your fall garden? I would love to know. It doesn’t go lower than 30 degrees F (-1 degree Celsius) here, so I am wondering if my Spinach will grow then.

Also, what is one supposed to plant in June? I feel like I should be planting something, just don’t know what! Maybe I will just try my Coleus again, the last attempt failed.


No comments:

Post a Comment