Friday, June 17, 2011

Wilting Tomatoes

I transplanted my tomato seedlings yesterday morning. There were about 9 of them in a small pot and it was getting crowded. I put the strongest in the raised bed and the smaller ones in large pots. They were about 2.5 inches tall and the temperature yesterday was supposed to be 75 only. I transplanted and watered them and then got busy with work. I didn't have time to check on them until evening. Out of the 8 plants in the bed, 4 were completed wilted and dead! I know I should have checked sooner and watered them again.. but I didn't think it would be so bad. 


Of the survivors, 4 eggplants were very wilted and the 2 remaining tomatoes as well. I was disappointed. They will probably live but take time to recover first. I have setup cardboard cloches for them with holes on the sides. And will be checking on them often. Look like I need a strategy to protect my plants from heat. They were too young to transplant maybe?




See the lone plant in the front left corner. I transplanted it last week and watered every few hours on the first day. That one has been fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment